Home Security Systems
Why invest in a home security system?
More people have home security systems now than ever before. In fact, a home security systems comparison study by Temple University found that homes with a monitored alarm system are about three times less likely to be burglarized than homes without a security system. Additionally, the report indicates that losses due to burglary are approximately $400 less in residences with home security systems than ones without. Here are some additional questions to consider when deciding if you should invest in a home security system:
- Do you live in a high-crime area?
- Do you have a lot of high-priced valuables that you need to protect?
- Do you have pets or young children?
If you answered yes to any of the above, you may want to invest in a home security system. Still not sure if you should invest in a security system for your home? Consider the following statistics from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report:
- There are approximately 2.2 million burglaries in the U.S every year. That equates to roughly one burglary every 14 to 15 seconds.
- In 2011, burglaries accounted for $4.8 billion in lost property in the U.S. The average monetary loss per burglary was $2,185.
- In 2011, nearly 75% of all burglaries occurred at residential properties.
According to the FBI’s 2011 research, both burglary and property crime in general showed an increase over the previous year. Fortunately, you can do more to help protect the most important people and possessions in your life with a high-quality alarm system. Consider the following:
- In 2009, researchers at Rutgers University, using five years of data, published an unprecedented study on residential home security. Comparisons revealed that an installed alarm system not only makes homes less attractive to would-be burglars, but does so without displacing property crimes to nearby residences. In fact, the study discovered that burglars, by a margin of approximately 30 to 40 percent, tend to avoid homes equipped with home security systems.
Security systems: Help protect your home and family
Protection against burglary and beyond
While burglary is typically the first thing that comes to mind when you think about an alarm system, the 21st century variety can be beneficial in more ways than you'd ever imagine.
Many home security systems can provide monitoring for a range of potential hazards, including fire, flooding, carbon monoxide and medical emergencies.
Many companies also offer cutting-edge security system services that allow you to watch real-time surveillance video of your home through a web-enabled computer, tablet or smartphone. Some state-of-the-art home protection solutions will give you the power to adjust your thermostat, control your lighting, operate your alarm system and even lock your doors from just about anywhere.
Home security systems can save you money on your homeowners insurance
The benefits of home security systems can extend far beyond just the preservation of your humble abode.
Believe it or not, investing in premier home protection not only pays back in the peace of mind that comes with the safety of your home and family, but can also bring substantial savings on your homeowners insurance.
Home insurance companies calculate a client's premiums based on the risk, or the likelihood they will file a claim for losses and damages. In terms of home security, comparisons have shown that alarm systems reduce the risk of theft, fire and other perils. As a result, insurers may award homeowners with up to a 20% policy discount for having one installed.
Your actual savings will depend in large part on the complexity of the system you install. Generally speaking, wireless home security systems with comprehensive monitored protection can yield greater discounts.
What can I learn from home security comparisons?
The value of a security system as a home protection tool is undeniable. But for many homeowners, choosing whether to invest in an alarm system is a financial decision, not a practical one.
The good news is that modern technology has not only made security system services more reliable, but more affordable as well.
In fact, dependable home protection is more available to middle-class families than ever before. Here's why:¬¬
- The implementation of monitoring centers has empowered next-gen home security providers to keep an eye on millions of alarms over one connection, allowing numerous subscriptions to be monitored for a fragment of the price.
- Today’s wireless home security systems are incredibly easy to install and transport. Some home security providers will even relocate your system for free if you happen to move.
- Most high-profile companies offer a variety of products, home protection packages and monitoring services, allowing the customer to customize their security system services to suit their needs and preferences.
The actual price of a system can vary, from several hundred dollars to several thousand. Not to mention, with a sea of companies offering reliable home security, comparisons can be difficult to make. In order to determine the actual cost, you must evaluate the security needs of you and your family.
Understanding the particular needs of your family will help you tremendously throughout the home security system comparison process. Additionally, when considering overall security system cost, remember to factor in the potential savings on your homeowners insurance. Oftentimes, the discount on your monthly premiums will cover your security system services altogether.